Friday, May 25, 2012

Friday Favorites - Healthy Summer






Even vegans can eat poorly and after months of eating clean, winter hit and I went straight for comfort foods like chocolate and mac and cheeze.  This is a pattern for me and a battle I am always losing.   Part of the reason I want to move to a warmer climate is the ability to be active and to have access to fresh produce for more months out of the year.  It's hard to go to the gym when it's so cold outside that I dont want to leave my house.   It's also hard to eat fresh produce in the winter when the offerings in Michigan are so poor during those months.  
I've woken up now and am eating as good as I can and exercising again.  It feels so good and I wish I could remember how good it feels when I'm sluggish and feeling like utter crap in February.  For now, I am going to take it one day at a time and try my best to follow these rules.


My 11 Healthy Summer Rules:
  1. Be veganI have been vegan for awhile now, but during the winter I confess there were a few times that I ate some cheese.  Organic cheese, but still cheese, and I always felt worse for it.
  2. Eat as clean as possible.  No junk.  Whole. Organic when possible.
  3. Eat the rainbow.  Green smoothies in the morning and for lunch and dinner pack in as many varieties of  organic fruits and vegetables as I can.
  4. Low oil/fat.  Not no fat, which makes my skin and hair very dry, but no margarine and if a recipe calls for oil, I try to halve it.
  5. No soy.  I have been doing this for a few years now due to allergy, but plan on sticking with it forever, even if I am no longer intolerant.  You can read about the dangers of soy here.
  6. No eating after 8pm.
  7. Exercise 5-6 days a week.  Walking, dancing, step, hiking, free weights.  
  8. Keep a food and exercise journal.  Myfitnesspal.com is the best.
  9. Take a multivitamin daily.  I take Pure One 'n' Only Superior Tonic Multiple (soy and gluten free with a base of organic foods)
  10. Be flexible.  I tend to be an all or nothing type of person, which means I can be very dedicated to something and give 110%.  However, if I fall off the wagon, it's nearly impossible for me to get back on.  I need to learn to accept the fact that I'm not perfect and be more flexible.
  11. Breathe.  A 5 minute meditation every morning and every night.


Some no-fail recipes:

Kaeylyn's Kitchen - Whole Wheat Orzo and Grilled Vegetables Salad with Herbs and Olives (I leave out the feta to keep it vegan):

















Healthy Happy Life - Wild Blueberry Chia Oatmeal:




More healthy links:

20 Healthy vegan breakfasts
I'm so going to try making soy-free faux tofu
Are Lulus as flattering as everyone says they are?
Hopefully by July I can rock this Ester Williams bathing suit or this one
A healthy pantry
It's great to be active and workout, but also important to REST.
The new (ab)normal.  Check this chart out.  Scary!
Some workout playlists: 1. 2. 3. 4. 5







No comments: